Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Summer Vacation

Hiawatha 2015 campsite
Sorry for the long time between entries. The highlights of the last month or so were two trips. First I went to visit Dave for his birthday during the Fourth of July weekend. We had fun in a quiet way, except for all the fireworks exploding around us. We discovered a new Indian restaurant and revisited an Arabic restaurant in Louisville. Tasty, tasty, tasty. This was the shakedown cruise for the new Subaru, and it performed very well.

Then there was the Hiawatha Music Festival in Marquette, Michigan, just a week ago. It was so good to go up north again and see my friends up there. The weather was mostly dry, a bit too hot for my tastes though everyone else liked it so I won't complain too much. I did not see much of the music on the main stage, but did a lot of jamming in our campsite. I just played guitar this year, having not even plunked one note on the mandolin in 51 weeks. In fact, I've played so little guitar lately that my fingertips were ridiculously sore on the last day. But I had fun. There's a lot more I could say about it, but I hope to write more sooner than later here.

In between that, I've been roped into a couple of health-related things. Doctors have prevailed upon me to start using a CPAP machine — don't ask me what CPAP means, but it blows air into my face while I sleep (via a mask), because apparently I stop breathing while I sleep. Who knew that? Certainly not me, I was sleeping. I affectionately call it the face-hugger. I guess it's helping. I can't really tell.

Then they got me into working with an exercise physiologist in their office. He's basically a trainer, really, but the doctor pops in to supervise. So I'm working out again, having fallen off that bandwagon before now. It's hard, and I don't even know why because it's actually less strenuous than what I had been doing at the gym with my previous trainers. The other interesting thing is, these sessions actually take place at 8:30 in the morning. I never was a morning workout person before, but I've adapted to it pretty well. It keeps me awake in the morning and doesn't interfere with mealtimes, as happens when I work out in the evening. I think the point of this was to kickstart me into regular workouts again. They were disappointed that I didn't do workouts during my trip up north, but I was disappointed that they'd expect me to put the guitar down long enough to do a workout. I mean, come on.....

Anyway, I'll sign off here before this gets too far into TL;DR category. I hope you all have been well. You're still looking good, y'know. Thanks for reading.


( 1 comment — Leave a comment )
Jul. 28th, 2015 03:11 pm (UTC)
Sounds like you had some happy travels. :) Hope I can get up north sometime soon. The last rip to Marquette was highlighted by my personal record for interrupting myself with "WTF?" over the development south of town on US 41.

How to make your own hummus: 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, 1/4 c. tahini, juice of 1/2 lemon to start with, and garlic--I use about three cloves. Drain half of the chickpea water and reserve. Put everything else in the food processor or blender and let it rip until everything is blended and fairly smooth. It won't be as silky as the commercial hummus, but it will taste better and you don't have to worry about another plastic container getting recycled.

If you'd like I can post an insanely easy chicken recipe....
( 1 comment — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2017

Page Summary


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner