Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

It's been a rough month, even considering there was a folk festival up north in the middle of it. I've been sick with what has turned out to be an upper respiratory infection since the Independence Day weekend. What has been really odd about this is, it started out with vaguely cardiac symptoms (!), including tachycardia and headaches and light-headedness. So the first trip to the doctor led to a new blood pressure medication and a bunch of tests. Unfortunately, this was the day before the gunk started settling into my chest and the coughing started. I do wish the doctor had seen that before he sent me off for a stress test.

Fortunately, I was still able to go to the Hiawatha Music Festival to hang out with my friends and listen & play some music. Unfortunately, I already couldn't sing much, but we mostly play instrumentals anyway. This was just days after a vaunted "polar vortex" invaded. Its P.R. overstated things and it actually got too hot, for once. But it was a great time and I was very glad to see my Marquette friends.

Then I got home and the sickness doubled down. Maybe I had fever before I actually got the thermometer out, but I definitely did after I remembered I owned one. (Note: I'm not very good at this sick thing.) Finally, last Monday, I went back to the doctor, saw the nurse practitioner, who gave me an antibiotic and three days of steroids and an antihistamine. I went home, slept all afternoon, and the fever broke that very day.

Now I just sound like a tubercular patient, but really I feel better, unless I have to walk a lot and cough at the same time. My stamina really sucks right now. But I do believe I'm getting better. It just seems this version of the bug takes a while to depart completely. As it turns out, my sister had the exact same thing, a week earlier than I did, with the exact same introduction. My niece, on the other hand, started her version of this out with pancreatitis (right in the middle of her family moving house). If I was a physician, I would be fascinated with the epidemiology of this.

Speaking of the cardiac things, I do have two more tests coming up this month. I guess it's good to be careful about these things, but I wonder if my doctor is actually considering that it was all from the infection in the first place, and I don't have more heart disease than I started out with. I guess I'll know by the end of the month.

ANYWAY... all of this has made me really quiet and inactive here on LJ. I hate doing "I'm sick" posts, but then I'd procrastinate on any other subject. I was having problems staying awake enough to read things, even. Since I'm getting better overall, maybe I'll be able to get back to reading and writing here again. I hope so, since my paid account renewed itself since I last posted.


( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Aug. 5th, 2014 07:09 pm (UTC)
I was wondering where you'd buggered off to--I enjoy reading your LJ posts very much. It's good to see you back.

Even though I vastly prefer all things herbal, there are times when it's necessary to bring in the big guns, and this sounds as if it was one of them. Let me know if you want my chicken soup recipe.


Aug. 6th, 2014 03:52 pm (UTC)
Thanks, Fran. You'd think that if I didn't have much energy, I would at least have enough energy to read and write here. But ... no. I guess this was a bad bug this time.

See, I'm not very good at this being sick, because I forgot about chicken soup. I've only had it once in the last month! That goes along with forgetting that I own a thermometer, forgetting I had appropriate cough medicine, etc. etc.
Aug. 7th, 2014 02:41 pm (UTC)
Holy guacamole, this must have been the mother of all bugs. Glad that you're on the mend.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2017

Page Summary


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner