Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Back on January 1st I mentioned my mom was in the hospital. She's still there recovering from her bout with cellulitis, which came up fast and got nasty right after Christmas. She's doing better, still getting antibiotics and some wound care, since the swelling tore up her foot and lower leg. Her first eight days were spent in a regular hospital; then she was sent to a long-term acute care facility, which is kind of like a regular hospital but focused on a limited range of functions (no emergency room, no birthing center — Mom misses the lullabyes played throughout the hospital when a baby was born at the old place). I wish I could say it was as nice as the previous hospital, but I guess she doesn't need all that, as long as they do give her what she needs for her condition. I just found out today that their tentative release date is Jan. 23rd, which will make almost four weeks. She probably won't be completely ready for prime time then, either; we'll have to wait and see what sort of in-home care needs to be arranged.

This coincides nicely with a bout of depression I'm having these days, which started well before Christmas. Basically, about all I'm managing these days is going to work and going to the hospital. There's correspondence that's lagging that really shouldn't, not much music being made, and naps being taken at weird times. I mention this not for sympathy, but just to fill in anyone who might be wondering why things are quiet over here. It's not exactly how anyone expected 2010 to start.


( 8 comments — Leave a comment )
Jan. 12th, 2010 11:08 am (UTC)
All the best wishes for your mom. And also you, because you need to take care of yourself, too.
Jan. 12th, 2010 04:19 pm (UTC)
Thanks. :) I guess not doing much besides work and hospital visits is good, because I don't need to over-extend myself. But there's a good chance I wouldn't be doing that stuff anyway because I feel so meh.

I'm just glad they finally came up with a tentative date for her release. I know it could change, but ... if nothing else, it lets me know that they must have some sort of treatment plan and expectations. For a while, I wasn't sure.
Jan. 12th, 2010 07:47 pm (UTC)
Yeah, it sucks that sometimes you need to bug the hell out of a doctor to get answers.
Jan. 12th, 2010 08:09 pm (UTC)
I was planning to get there at 7 a.m. either today or tomorrow to sit with Mom and wait for a doctor to come by. Although Mom is perfectly capable of getting information herself; I just hoped that maybe someone else there would perhaps force them to be a bit more forthcoming. But that doesn't seem necessary now.

There's also the possibility that Mom was getting sufficient info from her doctors and not passing it along. But I'd rather not contemplate that too much.
Jan. 12th, 2010 01:03 pm (UTC)
Puppyhugs to you both.
Jan. 12th, 2010 04:20 pm (UTC)
Thanks. D'aww puppies they'resoKYOOTE!! :)
Jan. 12th, 2010 05:32 pm (UTC)
Hang in there, dude. Things will improve, and hope to see you again before too terribly long.
Jan. 12th, 2010 06:32 pm (UTC)
Thanks :) Sorry I didn't get to see you on New Year's Eve... everything got thrown up in the air at the last moment (of course) ... Sometime soon, yes.
( 8 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2017


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner