?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

This is why I was missed my dental appointment yesterday:
Neon light causes fire that destroys Center Line store (Detroit Free Press, June 11, 2008).
It was a liquor store; the neon sign started sparking and apparently triggered the fire. Van Dyke Ave., which is eight lanes across at that point, was closed for over six hours. The smoke was impressive. By the time I was in the area (an hour after it started), you could see smoke from the I-696 freeway from a mile away. I couldn't even see down Van Dyke because the smoke was so thick. My mom lives about two miles south, so I called her to tell her about it because I was concerned about the smoke.

Ooh, the really local paper has a story online already—with a photo: Center Line liquor store catches fire (C&G News/Warren Weekly, online June 10, 2008, probably in print June 18, 2008).

(Well, ok, it's only part of why I missed my appointment. I apparently need a personal assistant, one who will tell me when my appointments are an hour earlier than I think they are. But had I been on time, I would've seen the beginning of the actual fire, so I might still have missed the appointment.)

Tags:

Comments

( 4 comments — Leave a comment )
blackiethedark
Jun. 11th, 2008 08:39 pm (UTC)
That's what was going on. I was wondering.
songdogmi
Jun. 11th, 2008 08:40 pm (UTC)
I would've stayed and gawked at it, but I thought I still had a chance to get to the dentist. It was pretty ominous with all the dark-brown and black smoke.
jjfmi
Jun. 12th, 2008 02:33 am (UTC)
You have to watch out for those flaming neon signs. Next thing you know, someone will name a band after one!

(You can explain this one to your loyal readers.) :-)
songdogmi
Jun. 12th, 2008 04:39 pm (UTC)
I'd explain if any of them asked. ;-)
( 4 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2017
S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner