Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Weekend report

How was my weekend? Well, on Saturday, I was supposed to have a stress test. Here's how a stress test works, according to my experience:

You get up late, rush to the doctor's office but get there in plenty of time. Watch bad Disney cartoons on ABC until you're called back.

There are two techs, both nice. One asks a bunch of questions, including height and weight. The other jabs you and installs an IV. It's the first IV ever in your entire life, believe it or not. The IV installer also administers the nuclear tracer medicine that makes the imaging hardware work. You wonder if you're going to have an unhealthy glow after this, but the techs reassure you that the medicine has a half-life of six hours. As you've never had a medicine with a half-life before, you wonder if six hours is good or not.

You wait for about 20 minutes while the nuclear tracer stuff circulates thoroughly. Then the techs call you back and you sit in a special chair for the first set of images. You rest your arms on a padded bar at about head-height, and rest your forehead against your arms. Meanwhile, another patient is doing the treadmill portion of the test, the part everyone knows about.

Then you sit quietly for a long time while they adjust the imaging machine, make several attempts, readjust the machine, make more attempts, call some offsite expert, try more adjustments.... then they realize that because you're 6'4" and 355 pounds, the machine is too small for you.

So they give you a referral to make a call at the hospital, so the jumbo machine there can be used for you. You get just slightly embarassed that they have to use the jumbo machine on you.

At this point, there's nothing else to do but go have a pancake breakfast at the Country Boy Restaurant.

It's only later that you wonder why they didn't realize earlier that their puny little machine in the clinic wouldn't work.

Aside from that, it was a lovely weekend, weather-wise. Mom made an Easter dinner of roast turkey breast with many of the trimmings. And I went to a coffee house show, which I might write about later. Oh, and the taxes got done, finally.



( 4 comments — Leave a comment )
Apr. 18th, 2006 12:18 am (UTC)
Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed, eh? Doesn't sound like a bad way to spend a morning...all told.
Apr. 18th, 2006 12:24 am (UTC)
It beats having dental work done. I guess. But then, you got the tooth completely out, and I still have to have the stress test.

All in all, spending the morning in bed wins.

Apr. 18th, 2006 12:36 am (UTC)
I'm still popping 4 ibuprofin (200 mg) every 6-8 hours. Your's will be over and done with. (& I bet your tech's didn't look like they were just out of high school...)
Apr. 18th, 2006 12:51 am (UTC)
Ouch. Ow ow owowowowowowowwwww

Yes, my techs did look adult. It was just the machine that was a little undergrown.
( 4 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2017

Page Summary


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner